Saturday, July 14, 2012

Foodtopia Moments




Tonight I decided to try the Stella Marina beach club for gelato. It was the first gelato of the season for me, so I stuck with the flavors I know, pistachio and cassata. Pistachio is exactly what it sounds like. A classic nut flavored ice cream that I use as my go to trial flavor at all new gelaterias I visit. Cassata is a sweet cream gelato with pieces of candied fruit inside. The candied fruit are like the kind sometimes found in cannoli filling. Closer to home, I tried the Parco del Mare Ristorante. It is a small place on the edge of a pine forest campground. It has its own beach and most of the clientele stay in the campground. They also have a forno a legna (wood fired oven) in which my pizza cooked in about four minutes perfectly even. I ordered a capriciossa pizza. It was topped with tomato sauce and cheese with carcioffi (artichoke hearts), funghi (mushrooms) and prosciutto cotto (basic lunchmeat ham to Americans, but surprisingly an enjoyable cut to most Italians). It was my first time for a pizza like this one this year and hit the spot. It was thin, flavorful, and cooked to perfection. I love wood fired ovens for pizza.