Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On an evening in Roma


Well an afternoon anyway. I was up this morning at 4:30 (actually with the anticipation, I woke up at 1, 2:15, 4 and then 4:30). I was picked up by a taxi at 5:30, and dropped off at the bus station in Termoli by 5:45. Then a 6 a.m. bus ride to Rome (four and a half hours), followed by a 45 minute train ride, followed by a 15 minute shuttle ride and I was at the hotel. Funny thing was, when I woke up I had no tickets for anything, and was going off of experience from years ago. 

The good thing was that I had slept on the bus a little bit and I was ready to hit the town running (walking really). I took the train into central Rome, then a subway over to the Vatican. I decided that I didn’t need to go into the basilica, as the line was long and I was hot. So I took in the square and went shopping for gifts to bring home. I took care of my entire gift shopping for the trip.

After the Vatican, I went back to the Scalini di Spagna, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Today I went into the Pantheon for the first time in a few years, and decided to have lunch at a sidewalk cafĂ© right in front of the Pantheon. After dinner, I went out for some gelato at a one of the most famous gelaterias in Rome, Giliotti’s. I was a little disappointed in their selection, as it was pretty touristy, not like the places near me in Campomarino that cater to the Italian palates. There was like 7 different variations of chocolate, but no zuppa inglese or cassata which are classic gelato flavors.

Watching tourists was fun today as well. I was eating in front of the Pantheon and a family was sitting next to me. I heard the one girl, about 25, say to her family that having pizza on a square in Rome was on her bucket list. I realized I’m spoiled when it comes to Italy as I had my first Roman Piazza meal at 16 years old. I was also a little struck that a woman her age has a bucket list. But I met some American’s here or there and they were not sure which way to go so I helped them. I also ran into a political demonstration that was taking shape in Rome. People and police were assembling.

When I got back into the room, I put on the TV to find an Arab-language station that plays American movies and TV shows with Arab subtitles, but original voice tracks. I watched the end of Tropic Thunder, still a great movie. Little Miss Sunshine is on now. As for the hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn comes with a full recommendation. Free wi-fi and a shuttle that connects to the airport every half hour make the large, clean room even better.

Mom arrives tomorrow morning, so I will need to be up for the shuttle around 6:30 a.m.