Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blessed be thy air


Last night I was lying in bed sweating around 12:30 in the morning. I finally thought to myself that it was as good a time as any to give the new air conditioner a whirl. I closed all of the windows and shut the bathroom and small bedroom doors. Then I turned her on and set the temp for 25 degrees Celsius. It was not cold, but it was refreshing and one of the best night’s sleep I’ve ever had in this house, and I’ve been here seven out of the past 11 years.

When I got up, which was more difficult because of how dark it was in the house with the windows and security gates closed, I washed up and headed out to play basketball at Lido Miramare beach club. It was the first time I had done so since 2005 and almost immediately my hatred for their backboards and rims set in. But it is the only court in town and it will do for a little while. They must’ve thought I had been through a battle because I was wearing a knee brace on one leg and an ankle brace on the other. On the way home I stopped for meat, vegetables and bread.

Today is one of the most beautiful days since I’ve been here. It is less humid, still hot, and not a cloud in the sky. The wind is blowing a bit, which makes the 90 degree heat tolerable. I’m hoping when mom arrives it will be weather more like this than the humid stuff that has been the norm this year. We’ll see come Wednesday.