Sunday, July 15, 2012

Foodtopia Moments




Pranzo (lunch) was an epic undertaking for just one person to be eating. I cut up fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil and cooked them with a little olive oil. While the tomatoes cooked and unleashed their juices, I prepared two pieces of brasciola, I bought the meat at the butcher today and his slices were the perfect size. I used garlic, parsley and grana padano cheese inside. Then I rolled the brasciola and cooked them with a little olive oil and ground meat. Once they were cooked, I began taking the sauce and passing it through a grinder to separate out skins and seeds. I then mixed the tomatoes with the meat and let simmer together for a half hour. The result was a delicious Bolognese sauce that I put over tagliatelle egg noodles. The brasciola was some of the most tender I’ve ever eaten. I also cooked up a zucchini just to have a vegetable. It was a lot of work for just one person, but I appreciate food, so it was worth the effort.