Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mom has arrived



I awoke this morning to the soothing sound of Tibetan bells. The alarm on my telefonino (cell phone) pretty much set the tone for my morning. I snoozed a little, and then realized that there is no 8 a.m. shuttle bus in the morning; only 7:45 and 8:30. Mom was due in at 7:45, and my flight had arrived at 7:30, I got nervous for about two seconds, or as long as it took me to look up her flight info online. She was delayed a half hour in Newark, and her flight wasn’t due to arrive in Rome until 8:15. Plenty of time for me to shower and dress. I took my pills (allergy, pro-biotic vitamin Primal Defense mainly to process onions, and a baby aspirin for heart health) had a small breakfast of twin plum cakes (basically pound cake about as big as a Twinkie), and headed down for the shuttle. I made it to the terminal by 8:45 and was waiting when mom came out at around 9:30.

It was strange when she came out. I first saw a Rome airport assistant pushing her scooter, which was more puzzling because she wasn’t in the thing. Mom was about 15 feet behind them, walking. I then got scared that the scooter was broken. Mom said that someone had left the batter on when they stowed it on the plane and it was now dead, but after further inspection, I noticed that someone had simply put it into manual mode as opposed to drive mode. Once we switched it back, she was up and running.

We headed directly to the Hertz office and picked up our Peugeot 5008, kind of like a crossover wagon. It is a dream to drive and I really got to stretch her legs on the 4-hour ride back from Rome. Another added bonus is that the car takes diesel, which is about 20 Euro cents a litter cheaper than regular unleaded. For those of you wondering, it is about the equivalent of $2.34 a litter here for gas or about $9.82 per gallon. So the next time you feel pain at the pump, think about the people who make about one third what Americans make (based on a teacher’s salary) and pay three times the amount for gas.

Tonight the plan is to head into town for pizza. Mom is sleeping right now and we have already turned away company for tonight, so I am not sure she’ll be up for it. We shall see.