Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mission AC: Accomplished



Today was one of those days when you have no idea of what is going to happen because you are depending on the whims of your elder who is depending on the whims of a 13-year-old. Sixty years of cooking knowledge is wasted when a child with zero cooking experience is consulted on how much pasta to cook and how to prepare the vegetables. Luckily, Zia went with her gut and the lunch came out great. Thankfully we chose to eat at my place with the company from San Severo in town. Five people in a small little place is way too hot on a day like today.

After sleeping in today until almost 8 a.m., I waited for Zia to come down so we could go shopping. A half hour passed, and I knew shopping and I knew plans had changed because of how punctual she is. So around 10 we drove to the center of town and went to the fruit vendors, the butcher shop and and a neighborhood grocer for something she can get across the street, prosciutto cotto (also known to Americans as ham, and despite the exotic sounding name it is simple plain ham). Right before we left I looked at the weather channel to see if it was going to rain (it didn’t), and the temperature at 10 was 85 with a heat index of 97. It only got hotter over the next few hours.

After lunch I read (I know, amazing) and then I went to a Best Buy type store called Euronics. I purchased an air conditioner and the installer will be here on Tuesday to set it up. I also purchased a Brita-esque water filter system that will save us from buying water for the next three years.

Tonight I think we will be heading into the center of town for some shopping and possibly gelato, but I am not sure.