Friday, July 13, 2012

Sun and sand



Fridays are always an active day in town. In the morning, those who spend their summers here head to the Friday morning flea market. Most people in town do their weekly shopping there, as food vendors hawk everything from dried fruits to mortadella to buffalo mozzarella to olives cured on the farm. The market also features an entire four blocks of clothing, kitchen supplies, household items, and beach necessities. It’s jammed every time I visit. Friday is also busy on the roads because many people come into town for weekends on Fridays. Tonight around 8 o’clock, it will be difficult to cross the street with the inflow of traffic.

My haul at the market included mortadella con pistachio, mozzarella di bufala, peaches, tomatoes (with free basil and parsley or as they call them odori), lemons, bread and a filet of salmon. It was about seven pounds of food for only 18 euros. The salmon was the only expensive item, but it was a nice change of pace from chicken or sausage.

After the market I headed to the beach for some sun and sand. I didn’t even put on a bathing suit, knowing I wasn’t going swimming (I was wearing athletic shorts). It was ridiculously sunny today and the sand felt like hot coals, even under my towel. I wear no sunscreen, and I still feel like I’m not getting tan. Just on my arms and face do I look tan, and those two spots already had a tan from throwing the football around at MetLife Stadium, home of the Jets.