Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Foodtopia Moments



In the first Foodtopia Moment of 2012, I went to a little restaurant called Macondo on via di Torre Millina in Rome. It was just off of Piazza Navona up the street from bar I Tre Scalini. I started with a plate of mixed bruschetta. There were four types of bruschetta on the plate: one had eggplant on a garlic toast, one was just garlic (the best garlic bread I’ve ever had), one had melted fresh mozzarella and salami piccante, and the fourth slice was a normal tomato and basil bruschetta. For my entrĂ©e, I ordered an Italian classic, spaghetti alla carbonara. It has cheese, eggs, cream and bacon. It was delicious and something that I only seem to order when in major Italian cities. If you go to Italy and order it and the waiter brings you something that looks like Alfreddo sauce with bacon, send it back and go someplace else. On a lot of the main squares, that’s the way they serve the tourists, but you all know better now. I felt guilty ordering such a dish, so I also ordered a plate of spinach and only drank water at the restaurant.

On a side note to this Foodtopia Moment, I was walking down the street just outside the Pantheon and smelled something familiar, the baking bread of Subway. No, I didn’t go there.