Thursday, July 12, 2012

Murder rocks Campomarino – This one’s PG-13



After taking siesta (internet time for me, I can’t get in the habit of napping) I got on my bike and headed to the far north end of town, home to Only Sub Beach Club. It is my favorite of the town’s beach clubs in part due to its location, cleanliness, size and overall sense that life is to be enjoyed. Last year, I went there and they never asked me about being a member. This year they made me fill out a membership form as the club is only for members. The bartender said without filling out the information, I would not be served. It’s a social club, with signs that read that it is only reserved for members. So I had a couple of drinks and watched most of the sunset over Termoli. I also watched as a family of four rode horseback on the beach, first time I’ve seen that here. (In one of the photos, you can kind of make out the horses in the background dead center.)

On my way home, I decided to ride past the place where the street market normally is and it still wasn’t there. However, I did find a small row of vendors at the end of the block, so there is some nighttime shopping to be had.

As I approached my street, I noticed an unusual amount of people and cars at the condominium complex at the corner. People were clamoring and talking Italian style (lots of hands in motion). I also noticed the presence of Carabinieri (Italian state police) who only work on serious matters. One officer was blocking the entrance to an stairwell. As I continued on I spotted the funebri (funeral home) truck. Obviously someone was dead. First reaction in this heat is an elderly person went to sleep after lunch and didn’t wake up. However, the gossip all over the street is that a husband murdered his wife then committed suicide. Everyone is huddled around asking what do you know? Who was it? Why did he do it? Was he crazy (obvious answer to that one)? It’s a weird vibe here tonight. I always notice how the Italians gossip and are into everyone’s business, but this is like something I’ve never seen. Murder-suicides are very strange to people here, and they are all reacting oddly with the gossip huddles. It’s like their idea of the town has been tainted a bit. Paradise lost.