Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Turistico di Roma


After my flight and the hour wait for passport (wait, let me pause to talk to a buddy and sip coffee) control and my luggage, I was dragging. I looked like garbage in my travel clothes (athletic pants and a T-shirt as comfort is king on an 8-hour-flight), and I was in need of a bed. I went straight to the hotel and took the only room they had ready three hours before checkout, a smoking and handicapped accessible king room that smells like a bar in 1997. On the plus side, I can smoke my Cuban cigar in the room.

I went to sleep from 9:30 until 2:15. Then I got dressed and was on my way into the center of Rome by 3. I got to Roma Termini right around 4 and then I roamed Roma like a ravishing Roman. I visited the Arch of Constantine and the  Colosseo, the Roman Forum,  the Monumento nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II, the first king of Italy , the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. I was on my way back to the hotel by 7, so all of that was done in three hours.

I also found ancient obelisks that, if my knowledge is correct, were taken from Egypt during past conquests.

Thank goodness I had been walking so many 5Ks in the weeks leading up to the trip. My feet are still hurting, but I was able to do most of the travel on foot today.

Tomorrow morning I’ll pick up the rental car and tackle the last leg of my trip, the 4 hour ride to Campomarino and my residence for the next 5 weeks. Once I get Internet up and running, I will make more posts. My email is up and running on my phone (that was a great surprise).